BOTANICAL NAME Rosa Damascena
AROMA & COLOR
Since antiquity, the rose has held a mystery, an ability to evoke a sense of passion, to somehow lure and conquer the beholder of its sublime beauty and fragrance.. Rosa damascena, the damask rose, which originated in Syria, is very highly perfumed, and is the most cultivated for its perfumed oils (it is also the most valued therapeutically).
The Romans made lavish use of roses: they scattered them from ceilings during banquets, adorned the statues of their favorite gods and wore roses to protect them from drunkenness.
Even Cleopatra took advantage of their beauty. It’s long been believed that when she would meet with Marck Anthony she would have her living quarters filled with rose petals. That way every time he smelt a rose he would be reminded of her.
Today Bulgaria and Turkey are the most prolific producers of rose oil. The area in the vicinity of Kazanlak, Bulgaria has been named the “Valley of Roses.”
- Improves Acne – In a 2010 study published in Molecules, Chinese researchers found rose essential oil to contain some of the most potent antibacterial effects out of ten essential oils evaluated. After five minutes at just 0.25% dilution, rose essential oil was able to completely destroy the bacteria that causes acne.
- Reduces Rosacea – Rose essential oil has strong anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and astringent properties. It balances sebum production in skin affected by rosacea and also calms redness.
- Skin Care – Rose essential oil has excellent moisture retention properties, and provides the skin with deep hydration. Its astringent properties rapidly reduce redness, and almost instantly brighten the complexion. It is especially beneficial for maturing skin, especially during times of hormonal change.
- Balances Hormones – known to balance and support hormone health in the body as well as help in improving serotonin and other neuropeptides in the brain — aka those good mood hormones.
- Increases Libido – A study published in the journal Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment concluded, “Evidence from this double-blind, randomized, and placebo-controlled clinical trial shows that the administration of R. damascena oil improved sexual dysfunction in male patients suffering from both MDD and SSRI-I SD.
PRECAUTIONS Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes. If pregnant or lactating, consult your healthcare practitioner before using. If applying an essential oil to your skin always perform a small patch test before using.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.