Essential oils are extremely concentrated oils that need to be handled with care and used correctly. Carrier oils are fatty vegetable oils used to dilute the essential oil, so it can be applied easily and safely to the skin. While they dilute the essential oil, carrier oils do not eliminate their positive properties. In fact, they can even enhance the effect of the essential oils and alter the absorption rate.
Some of the benefits:
- Most carrier oils are loaded with essential fatty acids, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and skin-healing vitamins.
- Carrier oils let you cover a larger part of your body without using too much essential oil.
- Essential oils are made of small particles that are absorbed quickly. Carrier oils don’t evaporate as fast so by adding the two, the absorption rate is slowed, allowing a longer impact.
Here is a list of some of the carrier oils we like.
Coconut oil (refined) Fractionated coconut oil is a fraction of the coconut oil from which almost all the long chain triglycerides are removed, thus leaving mainly the medium-chain triglycerides and making it an absolutely saturated oil.
Pros: Completely soluble with other oils. Extremely light, and absorbs quickly into the skin without clogging pores. Super moisturizing, odorless, colorless and does not stain. Has a long shelf life.
Cons: Refined – Virgin coconut oil has a higher antioxidant capacity.
Jojoba Oil This oil’s composition is closest to our sebum, or the body’s natural oils and can help to balance oil production in the skin.
Pros: Moisturizing without being greasy – great for oily skin. Contains vitamin E and B vitamins and has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Easily and quickly absorbed. Has long shelf life.
Cons: Has a mild aroma.
How you dilute depends on much you need and how you want to use it:
- Massage Oil Add approximately ¼ oz. essential oil to 12-14 oz. carrier oil.
- Salves Add 15 drops of essential oil to 1 oz. of carrier oil. Store in metal or glass container. Great for use on cuts, bruises or sore muscles.
- Neat Take 3-5 drops of essential oil and put directly onto your skin (if it needs a carrier oil mix with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil). Lightly massage area.